International Applicants

International Applicants

We welcome applications from students from other countries. About 20% of our student body come from countries other than Greece.

Citizens of countries that are not members of the European Union who wish to study in Athens and gain one of Hellenic American University degrees need to obtain permission to enter and reside in Greece in accordance with Greek law. If you come from a country outside the European Union, we advise you to inquire at the Greek consulate in your country regarding requirements for study in Greece and to complete all documentation needed for your student visa before arriving to Greece.

To find out where a Greek Consulate is located in your region, please click here.

Information is accurate at the time of publication (July 1, 2015).

VISA Requirements

In addition to any specific requirements your Greek Consulate may have, please submit the following documentation as provided by the official website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs:

  • A valid passport (Please make sure that your passport will be valid three (3) months after the date you exit Greece).
  • One color photograph (2x2 inches). (Please note that it must be glued onto the application form. Applications with stapled photographs will be rejected).
  • Letter from a physician stating you suffer from no communicable diseases.
  • Acceptance letter from our Institution indicating that the program you have been admitted to is a resident program requiring your physical presence on campus, that you are a full-time student, and the duration of your studies.
  • National criminal record check from your respective government agency
  • Travel Insurance stating that you are covered in case of a medical emergency and repatriation in the Schengen States (minimum coverage of € 30,000).

You will also need to submit proof that you have sufficient funds for the duration of your stay in Greece:

  • If financed by your family, you will be required to submit a signed affidavit from your parents stating they will cover all your living expenses while in Greece. Please note that you might be required to submit proof of funds by either submitting pay stubs or tax returns.
  • If you are a sponsored student, you will be required to submit a statement of financial support issued by your sponsoring agency (government, NGO, employer etc.).


  • The Consular Office reserves the right to ask for further documentation, in addition to the above mentioned.
  • The applicant has to provide a set of photocopies of the above original documents.
  • All visa applicants must appear in person in order to submit their application at least two weeks prior to their trip.

As this information is updated periodically, prospective candidates are advised to visit the official website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. 

To find out where a Greek Consulate is located in your region, please click here.

Applying for a Residence Permit

If you are a citizen of a European Union (EU) member state please refer to the section below for EU Citizens.

Residence Permit for Non-EU Citizens

If you are not an EU citizen you will need to apply for a Residence Permit in order to be able to legally reside in the country for the duration of your studies and be able to travel to and from your country.

Upon arriving in Greece, you will need to visit the branch of the Aliens & Immigration Bureau that serves your areaand apply for a residence permit. As a new applicant you may request either a one year residence permit (which you can renew each year of your studies) or a permit that covers your entire stay in Greece, depending on the duration of the program you will attend.  

How to Apply for a Residence Permit

Though we can assist you in this process, you are responsible for applying for the permit.  You will need to submit the following documents to the appropriate Aliens & Immigration Bureaufor processing:

  1. Application form (It will be filled out on the spot by the Officer receiving your documents).
  2. Four (4) color photographs.
  3. Two copies of your passport (all pages).
  4. A copy of the Student Visa – Type (D) in your passport.
  5. Confirmation of studies in Greek from the University stating the duration of your studies and confirming that you are a full-time student and that the program you have been admitted to is a resident program requiring your physical presence on campus.
  6. Confirmation from our institution that you have met your financial obligations (i.e. payment of tuition and fees)
  7. A transcript (this is needed only if you are renewing your residence permit or, if you have a permit for the duration of your studies, for verifying mid-term that you continue to be a student).
  8. A copy of your residential contract clearly indicating your full name or a statement of facts indicating your address and notarized by a police station.
  9. Proof of Medical Insurance that clearly states the terms of your medical coverage and confirms that you are fully covered for a) hospitalization; b) medicine and c) doctors’ visits.
  10. A bank statement from a Greek Bank account in your name (in Greek), with a minimum balance of 6000 Euros. If you are unable to provide the above, you may submit a bank statement with a 600 Euro balance accompanied by a notarized statement indicating that you undertake the responsibility to replenish the amount each month of your stay in Greece.
  11. Pay a Tax Fee of 150 Euros (for a one year permit) or 150 Euros per year of stay (e.g. for a 2 year residence permit you will need to pay 300 Euros). You will be informed of the payment process by the Immigration & Aliens Service Officer that will process your application at the time of submission.

You should visit the Immigration & Aliens Service Office in your area and submit these documents within 90 days of your arrival in Greece.

Resident Permit for EU Citizens

EU nationals have the right to live and work in Greece without a work permit; however EU nationals staying longer than 3 months are required to obtain a Residence Certificate. Community legislation provides that every European Union citizen has the right to reside in the host Member State for a period of up to three months with the only requirement to hold a valid identity card or passport. See this document on the right of residence.

EU nationals also have the right to reside in Greece (or any EU Member State) for more than three months, in which case they must obtain a Residence Certificate, which is subject to the following conditions:

  • You have comprehensive sickness insurance coverage.
  • You have sufficient resources not to become a burden on the social assistance system during the residence.

After five years of continuous and legal residence in the host Member State you are entitled to permanent residence.

How to Obtain the Residence Certificate

An application should be submitted to the nearest police station in the district where you live, with the following documents:

  1. Passport
  2. Proof of Medical coverage (State or private)
  3. Certificate from your employer if in paid employment, or proof that you have sufficient resources to support yourself.
  4. Three photos

Aliens & Immigration Bureaus: Locations and Jurisdictions

Applications and supporting documents are received by the appropriate Bureau Monday through Thursday, 9:00 a.m. To 14:00 p.m.  Please note you need to be there early (7:00 a.m.) in order to receive a priority number.  Only 150 applicants are received on a daily basis.  

There are four Immigration & Alien Service Bureaus.  Each has jurisdiction over specific municipalities.  Locate the Bureau that serves the area where you’ve living:

Bureau of Aliens & Immigration – Athens A.  

Salaminias & Petrou Ralli 2, Athens, 11855, (T) 210-3403300

Residents of the Municipality of Athens.  This covers central Athens, including the area surrounding the College. Those students residing in College housing are under the jurisdiction of this Bureau. 

Bureau of Aliens & Immigration – Central Sector, Western Sector and Western Attica.  

Salaminias & Petrou Ralli 2, Athens, 11855, (T) 210-3403300


  • Central Sector: Municipalities of Philadelphia, Halkidona, Galatsi, Zografou, Kesariani, Virona, Ilioupoli, Daphni, Ymitos
  • Western Sector: Municipalities of Egaleo, Peristeri, Petroupolis, Haidari, Agias Varvaras, Ilion, Agion Anargiron, Kamatero
  • Western Attica:  Aspropirgos, Elefsina (Municipalities of Elefsina & Magoula), Mandras-idilias (Municipalities of Mantras, Vilion, Inois, Erithron), Megara (Municipalities of Megara & Neas Peramou), Filis (Municipalities of Ano Liosion, Filis, Zefirou)
Bureau of Aliens & Immigration – Northern Sector and Eastern Attica 

Psaron 19, Pallini 153 51, (T) 210-6604900


  • North Sector: Pendeli, Kifissia, Nea Erithrea, Metamorfosi, Likobrisi, Pefki, Marousi, Filothei, Psihiko, Papagou, Holargos, Iraklio, Nea Ionia, Vrilissia, Agia Paraskevi, Halandri
  • East Attica: Oropos, Marathonas, Rafina, Pikermi, Dionisos, Aharnon, Pallini, Peania, Spata, Artemidas, Kropias, Markopoulo Mesogeas, Lavreotiki, Saronikos, Vari, Voula, Vouliagmeni
Bureau of Aliens & Immigration – Southern Section, Piraeus & Islands 

Agios Dionisios, Piraeus, 18545, (T) 210 4141600


  • South Section: Glyfada, Elliniko, Argyroupoli, Alimos, Nea Smyrni, Moschato, Tavros, Kalithea, Palio Faliro, Agios Dimitrios
  • Piraeus & Islands: Piraeus, Keratsini, Drapetsona, Nikea, Rendi, Koridalos, Perama, Salamina, Egina, Agistri, Troizinas, Methoni, Poros, Hydra, Spetses.

For further assistance regarding the VISA and residence permit process, please contact the This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..