This eight-week course is intended for professionals in the Shipping and Maritime Industry, as well as for legal translators wishing to gain more specialization regarding Shipping Terminology and legal contract wording.
The course intends to offer an in-depth and accurate understanding of the legal terms met in types of contracts frequently used in the Shipping and Maritime Sector. It looks to provide professionals with an accurate knowledge and understanding of the relevant English terminology and to facilitate the rendering of relevant texts from the English into the Greek language and vice versa in a genre-appropriate way and utilizing the proper approach.
The course consists of the following sections:
- Ship Sale and Purchase Contract
- Financial Agreements
- Ship Mortgages
- Insurance Institute Clauses
Each section studies common English legal terms used in the following contracts together with their corresponding terms in Greek. This approach ensures that terms are used in their accurate and precise way and have been properly understood.
The contracts used to meet the course’s learning outcomes are:
- The BIMCO Memorandum of Agreement for sale and purchase of ships, code name SALEFORM 2012;
- The BIMCO standard bareboat charter, code name BARECON 2001 and the NYPE Time Charter, code name NYPE ‘93
- The standard LMA Senior Multicurrency Term and Revolving Facilities Agreement template;
- The standard form of a ship mortgage template most commonly used in the Shipping Industry;
- The LMA Institute Cargo Clauses (A) (CL382, 01/01/2009)
|Instruction Languages||EL, EN|
|Prerequisites||High-school diploma, knowledge of English at least at Intermediate level, |
Greek mother tongue, or Certificate of Attainment in Greek
|Who should attend||For lawyers, judges, law students, translators of legal documents |
or students preparing for graduate studies abroad, students of the Greek Merchant Marine Academy
|Certificate of Attendance||Yes|
|Days and Hours||Start Date||End Date||Hours per Week|
Friday 18:00 - 21:00