This is a 36-hour course that aims to present the benefits of translation memories and more specifically the most popular translation software, SDL Studio 2014.
It has been specifically designed to help participants familiarize themselves with translation tools, creating, importing and exporting TMs, translating one or multiple files as well as using parallel documents to create a translation memory (TM). The course also offers the opportunity to practise opening, editing and delivering translation packages that are usually sent by clients. Particular emphasis will be placed on translating various file formats, such as .xls, .doc, .pdf, .rtf and .html. Moreover, participants will be trained in the embedded verification tool QA Checker 3.0, based on which final processing and quality assurance takes place.
The ultimate purpose is to improve participants' technological skills and let them effectively use the software to increase translation output.
Member of the SDL Technologies University Partnership Program
Having successfully completed the course, participants will be able to:
- Understand how CAT Tools and TMs work;
- Apply their general knowledge about HMTL code and tags to the daily work;
- Familiarize themselves with SDL Studio 2014;
- Create and maintain translation memories;
- Modify software settings according to their translation needs;
- Prepare and organize translation projects so as to increase productivity;
- Exchange the content of their TMs using the import/export feature;
- Familiarize themselves with aligning documents in order to create a new TM;
- Effectively use the program's complex features.
The course is open to students who are currently attending or have completed the Two-Year Program in General-Specialized Translation and to all graduates of the Translation Studies Programs of the Hellenic American College, Center for Lifelong Learning. Graduates or students of other recognized translation programs are also eligible. All other candidates must have a high school diploma and have a solid grounding in English (Proficiency level) to be able to attend this course. All candidates must attend an interview before they are eligible to enroll in the course.
|Prerequisites||High-school diploma, knowledge of English at a Proficiency level, |
Greek mother tongue, basic computer skills
|Who should attend||For those who wish to be introduced to the use of information technology |
for translational purposes
|Certificate of Attendance||Yes|
|Days and Hours||Start Date||End Date||Hours per Week|
|Thursday 18:00 - 21:00||19/10/2017||25/01/2018||3|