The American Library at Hellenic American College use an Interlibrary Loan System to locate and obtain resources from libraries in the US and elsewhere. Resources that eligible users of the library may borrow through this system include articles, books, dissertations, government documents and technical reports in electronic format.
Currently enrolled students, faculty, staff and alumni of Hellenic American College are eligible to request materials through Interlibrary Loan.
- To make an Interlibrary Loan request, first search our Local Catalogue to make sure that we don’t already have the material. We cannot process requests for items held locally.
- You will need to make a separate request form for different items you are requesting, and provide complete and accurate information to avoid delays in processing.
- An interlibrary loan electronic transaction is usually completed within 3-5 days (for articles received electronically).
- The library will notify you via email when the material has arrived. Digital material will be delivered electronically, but you will need to pick up print materials from the library.
- The library will also notify you if the material you have requested is not available.
Electronic books and journal articles are the most commonly requested interlibrary loan materials. However, the following types of materials cannot be supplied through ILL:
- Archival materials
- Rare or valuable materials
- Reference books
- Conference papers
- Audiovisual materials (videos, DVDs, CDs),
In addition, newspapers, microfilm, conference papers, and dissertations may be difficult to obtain and requests for these types of items may take longer to fill, have shorter borrowing times, or may be restricted to library use only.
The Library adheres to the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, United States Code, Sections 107 and 108), CONTU Guidelines, the Greek copyright law 2121/1993 and European guidelines. The Library reserves the right to refuse to fill a request if, in its judgment, doing so would violate copyright law. As is the case with all other Library services, patrons are expected to comply with copyright laws when using materials obtained through the Interlibrary Loan System.
Charges and Fees
There is no charge for using the ILL service; however, you will need to pay postage expenses and handling fees charged by the lending library. You are fully responsible for lost or damaged ILL materials.
Arrival and Pick up of Materials
Turnaround time for receipt of most materials is from two days to one to two weeks. However, you should allow 1-2 weeks from date of submission to final receipt due to problems with availability and verification. ILL service is not designed for last-minute research needs.
Renewal, Recall and Return
Interlibrary Loan System supports learning, teaching, research, and scholarship at Hellenic American College and is thus available only to students, faculty and staff at these institutions. The Library reserves the right to review patron requests for interlibrary loan services and to decline such requests at the Library’s sole discretion.