As a student in the MA in Translation you will become proficient in translating a broad variety of texts and master the tools and methodologies required to pursue a successful career in the translation industry or the Creative Industries. Combining rigorous translation training with a well-rounded education in translation theory, the program will help you acquire the analytical and technical skills, as well as linguistic and cultural competence that will be asked of you as a professional translator.
Strengths of the MAT Program
Our program reflects current and emerging professional practices in the field, as well as latest EU directives and practices regarding the translation industry. The MA in Translation has been also selected by the OPTIMALE research group (Optimizing Professional Translator Training in a Multilingual Europe) as a partner program for a research project on mapping emerging translation practices and trends throughout Europe. Program strengths include the following:
- Committed faculty who are teachers, researchers and professional translators
- Extensive practice on a wide range of texts such as technical, business, legal, EU texts and fiction
- Hands-on experience in Computer-Assisted Translation, Community Interpreting and Audiovisual Translation
- Option to specialize in the Creative Industries
- Small class size that ensures individual attention from your instructors
- Attention to terminology and terminography as an integral part of the translation competence
- Integrated approach to your professional development, including attention to technical skills, language proficiency, professional ethics and project management skills
- Strong links with the translation industry and class visits from project managers of translation firms
- Cooperation with the Terminology Coordination Unit of the European Parliament on terminology projects
- Member of the SDL University Partnership program with access to SDL technologies certifications
- Faculty mentoring and personal support for your academic and professional development.
MAT Career Paths
As a graduate of the program, you’ll acquire the credentials needed to begin a career in the fields of translation, audiovisual translation and editing. Also, you can specialize in the Creative Industries and dynamically enter the world of audiovisual translation, gaming localization or translation for museums or advertising companies. You can reasonably expect to be employed as a freelance or in-house translator in translation agencies, multinational companies, law firms both in the public and private sector. Also, you can pursue a career in audiovisual companies and the media industry as well as in publishing houses. You can also participate in all EU calls for translation personnel (through EPSO).
As a student and graduate of the MAT program you will benefit from important cooperations with translation agencies such as PASPARTU.
Career paths in audiovisual translation in industry-leading multinational companies such as DELUXE LOCALIZATION.
More about the MAT Program
You will need to complete a total of 11 courses plus a Thesis to earn the Master of Arts in Translation [MAT] or a Master of Arts in Translation with a specialization in the Creative Industries. The duration of the program is 12 months (full-time) or 16 months (part-time). An academic year includes two semesters, each semester running for 15 weeks. Successful completion of the MAT program requires a total of 36 credits: Core Curriculum (30 credits / 10 courses), Elective Seminar (3 credits / 1 seminar), and Thesis (3 credits).
For the Creative Industries track you need to complete 11 core courses (33 credits) and a Thesis (3 credits). Consult the Hellenic American University website for a detailed list and description of courses in the degree program.
- confidently and professionally translate texts in your area of specialization;
- use an array of translation tools and resources, including translation memory tools, computer-assisted translation and terminology management systems;
- analyze and translate texts which draw on larger issues in multilingual and multicultural societies;
- continue your studies at the doctoral level, if you so wish.
The Master of Arts in Translation (MAT) participates in the University Partnership Program with SDL Technologies
The Master of Arts in Translation (MAT) participates in the University Partnership Program with SubNextTechnologies