As a student in the Master of Arts in Applied Linguistics program (MAAL) - TESOL, you will explore the relationship between language, culture and society to solve real-world problems in language teaching, language testing and intercultural communication. Students may do the entire MAAL-TESOL online.
Strengths of the MAAL Program
The M.A. program in Applied Linguistics is a one-year, full-time program (or two-year, part-time) that draws upon current research in linguistics, psychology, sociology, ethnography, and education. As a student, you will experience the movement from theory-to-practice and practice-to-theory, preparing yourselves to become life-long learners and reflective professionals in language education and intercultural communication. Program strengths include the following:
- A practicum in a real classroom setting to develop advanced teaching skills.
- Opportunity to earn European-recognized certification as a teacher of English as a Foreign Language.
- A program that prepares you equally well for professional development and for doctoral studies.
- Courses that develop skills in using technology for language teaching in the classroom and online.
- Courses to analyze language in the real world and classroom settings.
- Courses that develop skills for research projects in linguistics and language education.
- Option to earn the International Tutor Training Program certification as a writing tutor from the College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA).
- Faculty mentoring and personal support for your academic and professional development.
- Option to earn professional certification in the teaching of English as a Foreign Language. The English Teaching Competency Test (ETECT) awards certificates accredited by the Hellenic Accreditation System (ΕΣΥΔ). This is the first such certificate accredited by ΕΣΥΔ in Greece.
- Career counseling and opportunities for networking through the Career Development Office during and after your studies.
Features of the Online Program
If you're like most of our students, you'll soon discover how engaging and supportive the MAAL-TESOL online program can be. In fact, you'll probably find yourself participating just as much as you would in a regular class—or even more. Here are a few reasons why:
- Weekly live video sessions with your professor and other students. And small classes—never more than 10 students—that ensure that everyone participates and gets the individual attention they need.
- An easy-to-use learning platform and a rich variety of interactive communication tools including video blogs, journals and discussion forums—all designed to make it easy to share your experience and insights and questions with your teacher and fellow students.-
- One-on-one support from your faculty mentor throughout the program. And though you'll probably never need it, round-the-clock technical support if you get stuck.
- Help in building an electronic portfolio for potential employers that features your best work in the program—a video of a class you've taught, perhaps, and a syllabus you've designed or a research project you've done.
More about the MAAL Program
You will need to complete a total of 10 courses plus a thesis or practicum (36 credits) to earn a Master of Arts in Applied Linguistics degree. The duration of the program is 12 months (full-time) or 24 months (part-time). An academic year includes two semesters, each semester running for 15 weeks. Consult the Hellenic American University website for a detailed list and description of courses in the degree program.
- Provide critical reviews and engage in critical discussions in the form of extended written assignments of the theoretical issues and real world concerns relating to the field of Applied Linguistics and in particular to language teaching and language testing.
- Demonstrate the ability to analyze language from a socio-cultural perspective.
- Analyze pedagogical practices in language teaching and develop teaching materials, course curricula and language proficiency assessment tools.
- Develop research projects in language teaching and testing, applying appropriate qualitative and quantitative research tools (e.g. statistical software, computer/IT skills) and integrating research data with your own ideas and points of view.
MAAL Research & Hands-On learning:
The MAAL program offers you opportunities to participate in ongoing faculty-student research projects in researching language classrooms and the use of language in local and international settings.
Advanced Diploma in TESOL – Level 7
Students who complete the following six courses and pass the ETECT-LEVEL 7 (English Teaching Competency Test) are awarded the Advanced Diploma in TESOL – Level 7. See the University course catalog for a description of these courses.
- Applied Linguistics and Language Education
- Second Language Acquisition
- Teaching Reading and Writing in English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)
- Teaching Listening and Speaking in English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)
- Classroom Assessment and Language Testing
- Practicum - Classroom Teaching
International Tutor Certification
Students who complete the elective seminar: Tutoring Writing (45 contact hours) are awarded the International Tutor Training Program certification from the College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA).
Your application package must include the following:
- Official Transcripts: Ask your college/university to mail your official transcript to Hellenic American College or submit it with your application in a sealed envelope.
- Recommendation letters from two individuals who can provide information about your academic and professional abilities and attest to your capacity for graduate study. Each referee should complete a recommendation form, seal it in an envelope, and sign his or her name across the envelope seal.
- A current résumé.
- Evidence of English Language Proficiency: If English is not your native language you are requested to submit evidence of English language proficiency.
- A copy of your passport or I.D. card and two passport size photographs.
- A non- refundable application fee of $70.
Interview: Every application packet is reviewed individually. Therefore, it is important that we meet our students in person. If this is not feasible we will contact you and speak to you over the phone. The interview will be conducted by a faculty member from the Department and will evolve around your academic and professional capabilities and potential.
You will develop essential skills to assume key positions as: specialized language teachers, teacher trainers, curriculum and material developers, language consultants and publishers, directors of studies and language researchers. You will also be prepared to pursue PhD studies in Language and Communication or related fields.
What students and graduates say about the program
Attending the MAAL was a life changing experience for me! A very well-structured program that provides you with the theoretical background, as well as the hands-on experience in teaching, taught by experts in the field, willing to share their expertise and guide you into becoming an effective teacher.1 of 1