The Library houses more than 35,000 volumes or print resources. The collections cover a broad range of subjects with a special focus on areas in which the University is engaged in teaching and research. There is also a substantial collection of American and Greek fiction, poetry, theatre and the arts.
Additionally, there is a collection of rare and special interest books; these are available by permission for limited use within the Library.
The Online Catalog, available to all users, lets you search the collections by author’s name, title, publisher, ISBN, subject and general keywords.
View the Library handbook for information describing the Library's collections, borrowing policies, and access to the online material.
The Reserve Collection consists mainly of print books that are used primarily as teaching materials. Material on reserve cannot be borrowed and can only be used on the Library’s premises. During exam periods and other times of increased demand, you will need to book reserve items in advance; this ensures that as many persons as possible will have access to the material.
The American Library at Hellenic American College provides faculty and students with access to several collections:
- Digital book collections (over 300.000 e-books from two providers)
- Online periodicals databases (millions of e-articles)
- Videos (68,000 titles)
- 360 VR (Now over 170 Virtual reality videos)
- Direct subscriptions to on-line journals (access only at library’s premises and mostly in Applied Linguistics)
- Dissertations/Theses (more than 5 million entries)
Access the Databases on Campus:
- Academic Search Complete
- Business Source Complete
- Regional Business News
- European Views of the Americas: 1493 to 1750
- International Bibliography of Theatre & Dance with Full Text
- Library, Information Science & Technology Abstracts
- APA PsycArticles
- Psychology and Behavioral Sciences Collection
- SocINDEX with Full Text
- Teacher Reference Center
- MLA Directory of Periodicals
- MLA International Bibliography with Full Text
ProQuest One Academic includes:
- Academic Video Online (Documentaries, interviews, performances, news programs and newsreels, and more).
- 360 VR (Οver 170 videos!)
- ProQuest Central (1970 - current) Periodical databases across all major subject areas
- ProQuest Dissertations & Theses Global (From universities all over the world)
Emerald Management eJournal Portfolio
One of the largest multidisciplinary collections available, providing viewpoints on traditional management disciplines from a variety of different industries as well as reflections on newly emerging societal challenges like climate change, inequality, and conflict.
Springer Computer Science Archives
Archives for more than 100 computer science journal titles in more than 2939 volumes dating from 1971 to 1996 regarding various computer science disciplines.
(note: these journals can only be accessed and used in house)
In this section you will also find a list of trusted, open access scientific databases.
- Science Direct * Journals (Arts & Humanities)
- Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ) lists free, full text, quality controlled scientific and scholarly journals, covering all subjects and languages.
- Social Science Research Network (SSRN) is a worldwide collaborative of over 285,700 authors and more than 1.7 million users that is devoted to the rapid worldwide dissemination of social science research.
- Cogprints Leading electronic archive for self-archive papers in any area of psychology, neuroscience, and linguistics, and areas of computer science, philosophy, biology, the physical, social, and mathematical sciences that are pertinent to the study of cognition.
- SpringerOpen is Springer's portfolio of fully open access journals and books, covering all areas of science. The entire content published with SpringerOpen is freely accessible online immediately upon publication.
- Taylor&Francis Open and Routledge currently publish a number of pure open access journals. The articles in these journals receive rigorous peer review and expedited online publication. Authors have the option of publishing their open access article under a Creative Commons Attribution (CC-BY) license, as mandated by some research funders.
- Wiley Open Access is a program of fully open access journals. All research articles published in Wiley Open Access journals are immediately freely available to read, download and share. The fully open access journals are published in collaboration with authoritative journals and societies as well as supported by internationally renowned editorial board members.
Summon, offers quick, relevance-ranked results from a single search-box.
The HAU – HAEC Library is introducing seamless, secure access to electronic resources anytime, anywhere through OpenAthens. It allows you to use your Hauniv mail (@hauniv.edu) to access subscribed library resources both on and off-campus.
OpenAthens is an access management platform that allows libraries to enable and monitor access to subscribed online content. With OpenAthens, access and authentication are managed simply, securely, and effectively while providing insight and data that supports the information needs of the Hau - HAEC community.
With a single sign-on (SSO), you can access most of the library’s electronic resources with just one login. Making access to library resources easier and more reliable with improved security.
OpenAthens is an authentication service. It allows you to use your HAUniv Webmail login credentials (@hauniv.edu) to access subscribed library resources both on and off-campus.
Note: OpenAthens is only a “gateway” service to facilitate access to publisher content. It does not include any content of its own.
What has changed?
You will now be able to use your HAUniv Webmail login credentials to authenticate to your favorite online resource both on and off-site, giving you the flexibility to start your research wherever you are.
In your research you may come across a resource which the Library does not subscribe to, in that case, you will not be able to gain access. Check the Library Databases to confirm if we have a subscription. You can then access the resource via that list.
Sometimes, browser caching can cause problems accessing the Library’s resources. Try clearing the browser cache and restarting the browser or try using a different browser.