Privacy Notification in connection with our Live Chat
This Notification specifically describes the collection, use and in general processing of personal data of the HAEC’s website users that are making use of the Live Chat at the HAEC’s website (www.haec.gr). The present Notification supplements the website privacy notification which is accessible at https://www.haec.gr/en/data-privacy/website. In light of the General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (“GDPR”), the Hellenic American Education Center (22 Massalias Street, 10680 Athens) (the “HAEC”) would like to inform you of the following:
1. The HAEC, in its capacity as data controller, processes personal data of natural persons who are making use of the Live Chat which has been introduced and intended for use via the HAEC’s website (www.haec.gr) (the “data subjects”). Data processed by the HAEC may include:
- (a) personal information, such as those collected through the questions and queries raised by the data subject via the Live Chat, as well as the context of these questions and queries and the answers of the HAEC; and
- (b) the data subject’s email address that may be disclosed by the data subject to the HAEC for the purpose of receiving a transcript of the online conversation held through the Live Chat. The disclosure of the data specified in subparagraph (a) is a requirement for the HAEC’s response to the data subject’s questions and queries.
2. The source of the data, as the case may be, is the data subject himself/ herself disclosing his/ her data to the HAEC.
3. As the case may be, the purposes of processing personal data by the HAEC are:
- (a) To answer questions that the data subject may raise and provide information when the data subject requests so through the use of the Live Chat. The legal basis for this data processing is the data subject’s consent, which he or she provides by asking the question.
- (b) To take action upon the data subject’s request (e.g., satisfy the data subject request to receive a transcript of the conversation held through the Live Chat application). The legal basis for this data processing is the data subject’s consent, which he or she provides by making the relevant request.
- (c) To promote and ameliorate the services of the HAEC and to safeguard the interests of the HAEC. The legal basis for such data processing is that processing is necessary to serve the prevailing legitimate interests of the HAEC (e.g., to introduce a real time conversation with the data subjects). For all of the above purposes, the HAEC does not proceed with automated decision-making, including profiling of the data subjects.
4. Depending on the case and purpose of processing, personal data may be transmitted to authorized employees of the HAEC, to companies associated with the HAEC, with which the HAEC has a relevant contract and which processes the data on its behalf (e.g., IT companies, IT service providers, etc.), within their competencies and subject to the obligation of confidentiality, secrecy and compliance with the data protection legislation. Personal data shall not be transmitted outside the European Economic Area.
5. The above data will be retained for a period time as required or allowed by the legislation/ regulatory framework in force each time. In particular, where there are no grounds for its retention, the personal data shall be destroyed 15 days following the respective communication.
6. The data subject has the following rights under GDPR:
- (a) to receive a copy of the personal data held by the HAEC, together with other information on how data is processed;
- (b) to request that personal data concerning him or her be rectified and, under conditions, to request the deletion or restriction of processing, or to object to the processing of personal data;
- (c) to receive a copy or to request the transmission of a copy of his or her personal data to a third party in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format (right to data portability). Where the processing of data is based on his or her consent, the data subject has the right to withdraw that consent at any time without affecting the lawfulness of processing based on consent before its withdrawal. If the data subject wishes to receive further information about the processing of his or her personal data or to exercise any of his or her above rights, he or she must email the HAEC Data Protection Officer exclusively at: