The Writing Center offers tutoring assistance both face-to-face (onsite) and online, either live or via the Blackboard e-learning platform.
In onsite tutoring sessions, tutors work face-to-face with individual students on academic or business writing tasks.
In a typical 45-minute session, students and tutors discuss the task or prompt, review the draft, and discuss ways to improve it with effective writing strategies. Tutors focus on teaching strategies for composing, revising, editing, and proofreading.
How to arrange and prepare for an onsite tutoring session
- Make an appointment with a tutor at least 24 hours in advance
- Be on time for your appointment
- Come to the Writing Center with your paper assignment and with rough drafts, if you have any
- Ask questions during your session, and keep an open mind when your tutor makes suggestions
- Remember: The Writing Center is not a fix-it shop; the tutor focuses on helping you become a better, more confident writer.
Online tutoring is provided either live via video-conferences (synchronous) or over the course of the term through the Blackboard e-learning platform (asynchronous). The tutor works on the student’s paper without the student’s physical presence.
How to arrange an online video-conference session
Students can participate in a one-on-one session, or work as a group, provided the goal(s) of the lesson is shared. Just as with an onsite visit, students need to make an appointment at least 24 hours in advance or send an email to
To successfully participate in an e-tutoring session, you will need the following:
- internet connection
- headphones (optional)