The teaching of Modern Greek is a rapidly expanding field. If you are just beginning your teaching career or if you’re an experienced teacher and would like to learn more, you can develop your knowledge and skills through our Teaching Modern Greek as a Second/Foreign Language Methodology Program.
The Methodology program for teachers of Modern Greek provides you with a practical introduction to the principles and practices of modern communicative language teaching. It focuses on the practical issues which you may face as a teacher, and introduces you to a wide variety of materials and activities. The program helps you develop lesson planning and classroom management techniques, and also gives you opportunities to try out these techniques in practice.
The Methodology program for teachers of Modern Greek helps you to develop your knowledge of the principles and techniques of modern communicative language learning. You explore key pedagogical issues in order to develop a deeper understanding of language teaching, while focusing on the practical elements needed for an effective language teacher.
By the end of the course you will:
- be aware of basic techniques and principles in current language teaching
- be able to evaluate a variety of teaching materials
- evaluate, create and adapt materials for the language classroom
- be able to use a wide range of techniques and materials in classroom teaching
You must be:
- 18 years of age or over
- able to show proof of a high level of competency in the Greek language
If you are a Greek native speaker, you need to have a senior high school diploma or a university degree. If Greek is not your native language, you need to have one of the following:
- have a C2-level certification of Attainment in Greek issued by the Centre for the Greek Language
- have studied at a university where the language of instruction was Greek
- have a degree in Greek Philology from a Greek state University
- Introduction to Second/Foreign Teaching Methodology
- Second/Foreign Language Teaching Methods
- Basic Principles of the Communicative Method
- Teaching Language Integrated Skills
- Listening Comprehension
- Reading Comprehension
- Use of Technology in Teaching-Distance Learning- Use of interactive whiteboard
- Second/foreign language teaching: From theory to practice
- Teaching Grammar
- Teaching Young Learners
- Classroom Management/Mixed-Ability classes
- Lesson Planning/Techniques for Active Learning
- Test Development and Evaluation
- Materials Development and Evaluation
You are assessed throughout the program using a multifaceted assessment scheme based on:
- Class Participation
- Lesson Planning
- Teaching practice
You will be given the course materials free of charge:
- Diakoumi, G., Exadaktylos, G., Kourbani, V., Sekertzi, K. & Tolias, D. (2006). Διδάσκοντας τη Νέα Ελληνική ως Δεύτερη/Ξένη Γλώσσα: Προσεγγίσεις. Athens, Greece: Hellenic American Union.
- Diakoumi, G., Exadaktylos, G., Kourbani, V., Sekertzi, K. & Tolias, D. (2006). Διδάσκοντας τη Νέα Ελληνική ως Δεύτερη/Ξένη Γλώσσα: Εφαρμογές. Athens, Greece: Hellenic American Union.
- Materials prepared by our academic staff.
|Who should attend||Novice teachers, experienced teachers|
|Certificate of Attendance||Yes|